The Anibal Ramos Jr. Civic Association awarded 13 scholarships worth $11,000 to high school and college students from Newark during its Second Annual Scholarships Award Breakfast.
"The students that received these awards have distinguished themselves both inside and outside of the classroom," said Norma Ramos, the chair of ARJ Civic. "These young men and women are proof positive that hard work pays off and they are reaping the rewards of their industrious spirits. They truly are remarkable young people."
Since he was elected in 2006 as councilman representing the North Ward of Newark, Anibal Ramos has been awarding scholarships to Newark students. ARJ Civic was formed as a non-profit organization a few years ago to accept donations from supporters who want to support scholarships for students. ARJ Civic also hosts community events in Newark and helps families in need.
"For me the scholarship program is important, because like many people here today, I grew up in the city and was fortunate to have attended Our Lady of Good Counsel High School. My mother worked part time in order to pay my tuition, but she became ill when I was a sophomore. Senior year I was not able to get the assistance from her anymore because she was not working."
Ramos said a family who was a member of the church anonymously donated money to help pay his tuition.
"I always said if I had an opportunity in the future, one of my goals would be to establish a program to help other young people, like that family helped me," Ramos said.
Among those who received a scholarship are a mother-daughter, who are both attending Essex County College. Ramona Altagracia Tores and Elizabeth Barcelo each received $1,000 to continue their education. Read more about Ramona Altagracia Torres and Elizabeth Barcelo as well as the other students.
High School Scholarships
- Brianna Hawley, Robert Treat Academy Class of 2015, Saint Vincent Academy
- Hannah Kasunmu, Christ the King Prep
- Lyonnel Eugene, Seton Hall Prep
- Zahnir Steen, Link Community Charter School Class of 2015, St. Benedicts Prep
- Julio Figuerora, Fordham University
- Ismael Perez, Technology High School Class of 2015, Ramapo College
- Tayteeona Cureton, Montclair State University
- Keturah Latimer, New Jersey City University
- Oluwaseun Akande, The Hudson School Class of 2015, University of California-Santa Barbara
- Noellia Makridakis, Newark Tech Class of 2015, Rider University
Essex County College Scholarships