The Anibal Ramos Jr. Civic Association along with ASPIRA Inc. hosted the First Annual "Clash of Champions" boxing tournament at the Waterfront Recreation Center in Newark.
More than 200 spectators watched as amateur boxers from Newark and around the state competed in 10 bouts on Saturday, July 22, 2015.
From L-R: Boxing Promoter Jose Rosario, Councilman Anibal Ramos Jr., Boxer John Leonardo, Manny Lugo and Councilman Luis Quintana
Ramos said his decision to sponsor the boxing event is part of his overall goal to ensure children in the city have recreational opportunities.
Ramos also supports baseball teams in the North Ward Center Little League, the Roberto Clemente Little League and soccer teams in the Just One Soccer league. Previously, ARJ Civic donated exercise equipment, including treadmills, free weights and elliptical machines to a number of local gyms and recreational programs.
"It's important that we offer programs like boxing, baseball, soccer and other activities for the kids in our city," Ramos said. "Having these activities keeps our children off the street and out of trouble."
Ramos noted that Newark has a long history of producing boxing talent, including Marvelous Marvin Hagler, the undisputed World Middleweight Champion from 1980 to 1987.
"Programs like youth boxing provide valuable recreational opportunities for local youth and promote teamwork, discipline and physical fitness," Ramos said.
The matchups at the Clash of Champions featured the following fighters:
- Lloyd Patrick, Dungeon BC vs. John Leonardo, Middletown PAL
- Willie Harris Brown, Ike and Randy Boxing Club vs. Andy Venegas, Montalvo Gym
- Christian Reyes, Jersey City Rec. vs. Hector Zarate, Elizabeth Recreation
- Edwin Rivera, Jersey City Rec. vs. Raul Valdes, Global Boxing
- Justin Hernandez, Victory Boxing vs. Eric Ventura, Elizabeth Rec.
- Dakuan Johnson, Victory Boxing vs. Michael Lee, Jersey City Rec.
- Juan Zarate, Elizabeth Rec. vs. Jon DeAngelis, Middletown PAL
- Frankie Diaz, True Warriors vs. Cesar Ruiz, Aspira Boxing
- Allan Romero, Allentown International vs. Rashad Freeman, Dungeon BC
- Israel Castro, Allentown International vs. Pedro Ramos, Jersey City Rec.
The bouts were officiated by USA Boxing officials Andy Mustacchio, Richie Perez
Jose Concepcion, Ramona Concepcion, Daniel Soto, Mark Consentino and Sandra Montalvo
Carmen Bailly was the chief of officials, Red Barron served as the glove man and the presiding physician was Dr. Orlando Gonzalez. Jose Rosario Boxing Promotions was the fight promoter. Also on hand was Harry Hascup, president of NJ Association of USA Boxing.
Be the first to comment
Sign in withFacebook Twitter